The Commission seeks to learn more about why people serve and why people may choose not to serve, as well as ways to increase the number of Americans in military, national, and public service. The Commission welcomes comments from the public on any aspect of the Commission's mission, including the following questions:
- Is a military draft or draft contingency still a necessary component of U.S. national security?
- Are modifications to the selective service system needed?
- How can the United States increase participation in military, national, and public service by individuals with skills critical to address the national security and other public service needs of the nation?
- What are the barriers to participation in military, national, or public service?
- Does service have inherent value, and, if so, what is it?
- Is a mandatory service requirement for all Americans necessary, valuable, and feasible?
- How does the United States increase the propensity for Americans, particularly young Americans, to serve?
Please submit a comment below or via our request for comments published in the Federal Register.